I have nothing interesting to write about for this blog, so I’m going to write about what I did yesterday.
January 27th, 2009… what did I do? Oh, right, I went to classes and did homework. My academic week starts every morning with math, MATH 113 to be exact. I hate math. I’m absolutely horrible at it, and I really wish I didn’t have to take it. The class is currently on Chapter 1, and I’m already having a hard time. Did I mention that this class is the lowest math course you can take that counts towards general education requirements? We’re studying logic. I hate this topic. Logic doesn’t make much sense to me right now. The professor teaching this class flies by the powerpoint slides way too quickly, and there is so much information to write down.
So anyway, back to my day. As I stated before, my morning started off with math. Tuesdays are Math Lab days, so I headed over to Williams hall. Unlike the last lab worksheet, this one was much more challenging because it asked you these wretched logic questions like “Please write the negation of this statement. Some students will pass the class”. Something clicks in my head that this answer shouldn’t be too hard to find in the book. After flipping though a couple pages of chapter one, I find the section that talks about these kinds of problems. I find a similar problem and copy the format of the answer to my paper. When I got my paper back today, I noticed I got all four of those questions wrong. Great…
After working on the negation problems, I moved on to the questions about fallacies. This wasn’t as bad as the other problems I finished until I got to the last few choices. Of course I ended up with three fallacy statements that all seem like they can be any of the three choices I have left. I got back and read through the book and to see if I missed anything, and seeing as I got those last three wrong, I clearly missed something in the book.
The last two things I had to do were my truth tables. Those were a bit confusing to understand because I spent more time trying to copy the truth tables down during class instead of being able to listen to the professor’s explanation. These turned out to be easier once I pulled out the rules for the Logic of “and”, “or”, and “if…then…” statements. Those took awhile to complete because I still had to really think about it, but the last problem was the worst.
Here I am in class with ten minutes left in the period. I have a problem that I know how to do, but unfortunately, I’m the worst at converting liters, meter, and grams into whatever prefix version the questions as for. Since math isn’t what I’m good at, I long forgot how to comprehend which way to move the decimal when converting between these measurements. I spent so much time trying to understand how to convert things into meters, that I left myself with a minute to solve the problem. It was stressful, but somehow I survived it. It still makes me mad to know that I worked so hard on the worksheet, and after I left, I finally started to understand it. As a result, my grade for that worksheet was worse than the previous one. Ugh… I hate math…
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Melanie -
ReplyDeleteIt actually sounds like what you're studying in math may translate to English 101. The next unit we will study rhetorical analysis and look at logic - both how it is properly utilized as well as logical fallacies. I never thought I'd be able to say that a math class could transfer to an English class, but there you have it!
-Kathleen