Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Blog #6

My favorite TV Show is actually broken up into three different series. The original series takes place in Las Vegas while the other two are set in New York and Miami. It deals with people who are crime scene investigator solving crimes in a certain city. Consequently, the title of all these shows is taken from that profession. CSI: Las Vegas is my favorite because it was the one I started watching when I was in junior high. I got into the show because it is strangely fascinating to see how the team of CSI solves crimes. This was way back when I was considering going into the medical and/or criminal investigation field. A couple years later, I learned that science was not my forte in school and that I couldn’t even handle the sight of my own blood being drawn from my body.

Although, I can’t handle physically looking at blood and guts, I can handle it to a certain extent on the TV screen. CSI shows you some graphic details, but I don’t think they over do it. Occasionally it happens but you can anticipate when these moments are to avoid seeing them. In a way, CSI allows me to experience a profession I once considered without having to literally deal with the emotional stress a crime scene investigator may deal with. I chose to stay away from the Justice professions because I don’t know that I could handle the stress of making enemies with some of the most violent people in the world. Those criminals may be in jail, but the TV show portrays a lot of them as thirsty for revenge upon being released. I wouldn’t be able to handle knowing that someone wants to get back at me for putting them in jail. Going to sleep every night after working at a murder scene would probably make me extremely paranoid.

The show is more than just collecting the data and solving the crimes, there’s drama to keep you enticed, but the show doesn’t over do it like other crime scene dramas. The drama is what permits you to learn about the main characters. In most cases you learn personal details about their background, and as corny as it may seem at times, you do become attached to them because you feel like to know the characters better.

Another thing I like about CSI: Las Vegas, and any of the other CSI shows, is that it can be watched regardless of watching the previous episodes because each episode tells a different story of how a crime is committed and them solved. Naturally, some episodes must be watched in order because one episode wasn’t enough to cover the twist of events that occurred, but it just makes you want to watch the next episode.

As for the other CSI shows, CSI: New York is pretty good, but I still like the original CSI better because I got into watching these shows by getting hooked on the original first. However, I don’t like CSI: Miami as much because the main character, Horatio, seems too cheesy and fake. He has the hero attitude that can get annoying at times and always tends to have the spot light when he may not have contributed at much to solving the crime. Then, every time a crime happens and someone is hysterical about it, Horatio comes up with a heroic line like “Don’t worry Mr. and Mrs. ‘insert-name-here’, I’ll find out who did this”. Horatio also has a monotone voice. Even in scenes with lots of drama, his tone doesn’t change! It drives me nuts, but I guess it makes sense because in dramatic events it’s better to stay calm.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE CSI!! I have watched this show since I was little, and it made me want to be a CSI untili realized it had to do with science, there goes that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love CSI! Great show! Too bad it's not too realistic...

    ReplyDelete
  3. CSI in Vegas was always my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My room mate and I have marathons and always have to watch it before we sleep! my favorite is new york!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love csi new york. i watch it every week

    ReplyDelete
  6. CSI is probably one of the greatest shows ever. New York is definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete