Friday, April 10, 2009

Blog 12 - So you're visiting Normal, IL... interesting choice...

For this blog assignment, a similar situation happened to me when my friends came down to visit but couldn’t be with me during my induction ceremony into an honors society. It was hard enough for me to figure out what they should see or do when I was with them, let alone tell them what they should see while I couldn’t be with them. Personally, I suggest visiting Chicago over coming to Normal. Now it’s not that there’s anything wrong with Normal; it’s just… normal. Literally. In comparison to my hometown Vernon Hills, IL, it’s roughly the same except neighboring towns are closer together, or so I’ve heard from many of my upperclassmen friends from the Lake County area. From my personal experience I’d say it is. It's got one main road that has just about every type of store out there. In Normal, it's Veteran's Parkway, for me in Vernon Hills, it's Route 60 or Townline Road. However, my views are a bit biased as the furthest I’ve traveled around the McLean County area is to ISU Paintball’s home paintball field in Funks Grove.

Anyway, back to what I’d suggest to friends visiting Normal. I’d most definitely suggest staying around campus unless they came down here in their own vehicles. Depending on the time of year these people would be visiting Normal, I’d recommend going to an ISU sporting event of some sort. Basketball and football would probably be the most exciting since they seem like they are the two most popular sports to watch at ISU. I have yet to watch either, so I don’t actually know how fun they are. It’s sad because I bought a Red Alert Pass and got the free shirt that I don’t wear. I guess I’m not very school spirited.

Aside from watching a game, I’d recommend checking out the art events at ISU like a concert or play. We also have a very nice place in the Center for Visual Arts called University Galleries where various pieces are displayed. I’ve had to go as a requirement for my 3D Fundamentals art class, and the pieces in there are very good. They generally come from the Graduate Students or visiting artists, but there are art shows like the Student Annual where everyone can put in a piece to be considered for the show. Not everyone’s piece gets selected, so the art work in the show is most likely every student’s best piece.

Other than the campus events, I’d also recommend talking a walk around Uptown Normal, especially if it’s a nice sunny day. The campus in general just looks way better with the sun shining over the somewhat green grass in the Quad; even the construction going on everywhere looks better with the sun. Uptown Normal doesn’t have that much that would entice me to buy anything, but there’s a lot of food options and there’s also a few interesting stores to wander around a look at.


In general, there are a lot of food options I’d recommend you try while being in Normal. Most of the places are open very late with exception to the ones in the Bone Student Center. All the hungry drunk college kids need to avoid a hangover on the weekends, so all these places make a good amount of money off of that. One of my recommendations would be to try McAlister’s Deli in the Bone Student Center. I’m not biased because I work there, but it’s a very nice place to eat, but when we get backed up with lots of orders it can take awhile to get your food. The food is good and it is similar to a Panera-type place but maybe a bit more expensive and no bagels. Another place to try would be either Gumby’s Pizza or DP Dough. Personally, I’d choose DP Dough over Gumby’s because DP Dough has something a little bit different than what Gumby’s offers. These are more of a takeout kind of place that delivers too, but the food is very good. People have often recommended Avanti’s on Main Street, but I have to say, I wasn’t too impressed with my food when I went there. The dining center has pulled out massive amount of better or similar pasta quality and I didn’t have to pay; the bread they give you is good though.

So yeah, other than food places, sporting events, and Uptown Normal there’s not much else that I’m aware of in Normal. I still like it here though.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave a great suggestion Chicago is the best city in the world!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ive heard a lot of people say that they bought the red alert pass and never used it. no good

    ReplyDelete